vrijdag 17 mei 2013

Today's News: Riddick returns

Found another scoop for MovieScene the other day:

http://www.moviescene.nl/p/147142/eerste_trailer_riddick_online



Looks pretty good where actors (Katte Sackhoff, yay!), action and FX are concerned. Story wise, I'm less convinced. First of all, this movie seems a rehash of the first Riddick film, Pitch Black (2000). It too saw Diesel's titular character stalked by creepy aliens on some visually intriguing planet while also having to deal with loudmouth overmuscled bounty hunters that were after his skin. Yes, PB was a good movie while its successor, the simply titled The Chronicles of Riddick (2004), proved less fascinating fare in retrospect (a bit too grandiose and bombastic for most people's taste). But it does not do to just go back to past successes by carbon copying former glory as this movie appears to do. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's more here than meets the glow-in-the-dark eye, but for now I don't see it.

Second, from what I can gather from this trailer, the previous film (the aforementioned Chronicles of...) is blatantly ignored, which is rather frustrating considering how it ended (spoiler! - Riddick basically becomes emperor of the galaxy - ). Again, the trailer might just be skipping out on particular plot information, but so far it seems not to, which in this case I find ungrateful towards the second film - even though it may not have been perfect I found it to be all kinds of fun - and confusing for the audience, including myself. The ever reliable IMDb lists Karl Urban returning as the formerly MacBethean Necromonger second-in-command Vaako, which would at least acknowledge a connection with Riddick's past chronicles, but I didn't spot him in the trailer. I guess I'll just have to what and see just what the frak is going on here.

And did it say IMAX thar? Nerd likes this! Whatever the film might lack in terms of plot, it might very well make up for in imagery and style (again), which would make it well suited for the IMAX format. It doesn't even say 3D, which would also be a welcome change of pace by now. So okay, the trailer might be utterly misleading with regards to the story, or suggesting they screwed with Riddick's established character history (it's been nine years after all, so who but avid movie buffs would remember what happened previously?), but hey, it's gonna look and sound superb. Who cares about using them brain cell thingies when you can watch Vin Diesel bashing bounty hunters and badass beasties on an excessively large screen? You're not afraid of this decadence, are you?




And yes, posting more (mini)reviews is still very much on my mind. I was just too busy writing a few new Jurassic Park action figure reviews for JPtoys this week. I really ought to post those on my blog as well, all 200 of them. They may not be movie reviews, but it shows I can review other things than movies too. Heck, if I had time I'd review anything I came across, from 17th century garden gnomes to present day public soap dispensers. Sadly, time is always against me.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten