vrijdag 4 juli 2014

Today's Column: I have no translation for 'grabbelbak'




The month has just begun so here's a column for y'all:

http://www.moviescene.nl/p/156321/column_ode_aan_de_grabbelbak

The longer it has been since Free Record Shop closed, the more I start to realize how much I miss it. The number of sites where you can buy movies on DVD/Blu-Ray has decreased dramatically, while it seems a slow but sure increase in prices at the stores that are left is in process (I feared it would happen). What's more, the number of films available on home theater formats - and I don't mean the downloadable kind - is also dwindling rapidly. It has become increasingly problematic to find hidden gems, especially the kind I like that most people wouldn't consider to fit that bill (such as Return of the Fly, mentioned in this piece). Of course, if I do find such a title now the euphoria is all the more vigorous, but such occasions have become rare and will soon turn obsolete. The DVD Age was a good time for cinephiles, but that time has passed. So too wil the Blu-Ray Age, which delivered superior quality but less diversity in terms of total title output. I'll cherish the memories of both, while I'll put off the inevitable Online Age for as long as I can, as is basically my wont for any scary new media these days. But hey, at least I jumped on the Blu-bandwagon earlier than most.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten